Billing and Payment Information
Thank you for choosing UNC Health Blue Ridge for your healthcare needs. We appreciate the confidence you have placed in us. This page should answer many common questions that you may have about insurance and billing. Please contact us if you have additional questions or concerns. If you have a medical emergency, please remember that UNC Health Blue Ridge treats all patients equally, regardless of their ability to pay.
Filing Insurance Claims
As a courtesy to you, UNC Health Blue Ridge files insurance claims with most insurance companies for services provided. Please be aware that filing a claim does not guarantee payment from your insurance company.
Most policies have a deadline for filing claims. To help ensure that the insurance company receives and processes your claim correctly, please review the following checklist:
- Be sure your insurance information is correct and up-to-date.
- Present your current insurance card when you register and when you check in for services.
- Check with your insurance company to see if the service requires “Prior Authorization” or “Precertification” before you can receive the services you need. We will do our best to provide your insurance company with the information it needs to determine coverage.
- When you come in for a service, please be prepared to pay any copays, deductibles or fees for services your policy does not cover.
If you are hurt as a result of an injury on the job, we will bill your employer or your employer’s workers’ compensation carrier.
We will submit Medicare claims for you.
- Inpatient services are billed under Medicare Part A.
- Observation, outpatient, and physician services are billed under Medicare Part B.
Patients are responsible for deductibles, coinsurance and services not covered by Medicare and Medicare Advantage plans, such as oral and topical medications and services covered by liability insurance.
We will submit Medicaid claims for you to North Carolina Medicaid if you have presented a current card or the Department of Social Services confirms you are enrolled in Medicaid. You may be responsible for some of your charges if Medicaid has determined that a copay is due.
Uninsured and Self-Pay Patients
UNC Health Blue Ridge offers a 50% discount to patients who have no health insurance. To help you manage the balance of your charges, our financial counselors will speak with you about payment plan options or about our financial assistance programs.
If you need financial assistance after treatment, we have several ways to help.
Services Not Included in the Hospital Bill
During treatment you may receive care from physicians or other healthcare providers who will bill you separately for their services. These providers may include:
- Your private physician
- Emergency department physicians
- Pathologists (laboratory physicians)
- Ambulance services - EMS or private ambulance
Your hospital statement will have a list of these providers and their contact information.
- Cash payments
- Personal checks
- Debit cards
- Credit cards (MasterCard, Discover & Visa)
- Personal payment plan arranged with UNC Health Blue Ridge
If you find that you are unable to pay your balance in full at the time of service, we offer two payment options. Please note that sending partial payments does not establish a formal payment plan. For more information on the following payment plans, please contact customer service at 828-580-5016 or 828-580-5036.
We offer a revolving charge account option for patients and their families. You may charge medical services to your account on an Access One medical credit card. If you do not have insurance or need help managing the portion of your bill that remains after your insurance company has paid, this may be an option for you. Learn more by calling 828-580-5016 or 828-580-5036.
Please contact our financial counselors if you:
- Need help paying for charges not covered by your insurance plan, Medicare or Medicaid
- Have no health insurance and are responsible for all charges yourself
- Are a low-income patients, elderly or disabled and believe you may qualify for Medicaid
If you have any other questions related to financial assistance, please call:
UNC Health Blue Ridge - Morganton Campus: 828-580-5090
UNC Health Blue Ridge - Valdese Campus: 828-580-7576
Please mail all payments to:
UNC Blue Ridge
P.O. Box 96072
Charlotte, NC 28296-0072