Pregnancy is an exciting time in many women’s lives, but it can also be challenging or stressful, depending on your situation. No matter where you are in your journey, we can help you create the best pregnancy experience for yourself and your family.
Our team offers high quality maternity care for both routine and high-risk pregnancies at each of our locations. We’re with you through every stage of your pregnancy. You will have one primary obstetrician for your prenatal care as well as a team of physician assistants and other professionals , such as certified nurse midwives (CNMs), to assure continuity of care. For your convenience, we have:
- One primary obstetrician or CNM assigned to you for all prenatal visits
- Electronic Prenatal Records that eliminate disorderly paper documents and give you convenient, immediate access to all your information from computers in the Family Center and ER
- Free maternity tour, childbirth education classes, including infant CPR classes and breastfeeding classes
Our specialists have experience with both routine and high-risk pregnancies as well as conditions such as preeclampsia, gestational diabetes, and anemia. We’ll help you work through any issues that arise to provide the best care and experience available.
Learn more about the services we offer at UNC Health Blue Ridge as well as what you can expect at each stage of pregnancy by downloading our Prenatal Guide.
To schedule an appointment call: 828-580-4341
You deserve personal attention that will help ensure your pregnancy is as stress-free as possible. The Maternity Navigator at The Family Center is someone you can trust to be right by your side, guiding you through your motherhood journey.
Our maternity navigator will assist patients and partners in understanding what classes are available, how to get prepared for the birth and their new baby, what to expect during the hospital stay, and more. The role of the maternity navigator includes:
- Meeting high-risk patients after a 20-week ultrasound visit to establish a relationship, provide education, schedule birthing classes, or make referrals. She can answer any questions or concerns a mother may have as well as provide information on nutrition; maintaining a safe and active pregnancy; how to cope with pregnancy discomforts; activity and weight gain; hospital pre-registration; selecting classes and enrolling; tips for selecting a pediatrician; and finalizing a birth plan.
- Walk patients through the Eat, Sleep, Console program and be their support, working as a team to support and meet all the infant needs.
- One-on-one discharge with patients before they go home offering education on postpartum complications and making referrals if needed for housing, infant items, breastfeeding, WIC office, Health Department, Medication Assistance Treatments Services, and more.
- Check-in within a week after discharge for additional support. This is an excellent opportunity to discuss any needs or concerns. We can offer assistance with breastfeeding and postpartum depression, as well as connect with other community resources and support groups.
Our Maternity Navigator speaks Spanish or English and is available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Pregnancy Fitness and Wellness
Phifer Wellness Center, part of UNC Health Blue Ridge, can help you meet your personal fitness goals during pregnancy. PWC members gain access to services and amenities such as pregnancy massages, strength training, and more.
Download the Maternity Health and Wellness flyer to learn more.
We believe the best way for you to be prepared for your baby’s arrival is by being well informed. To help you understand what to expect at every stage, we offer free tours and classes on childbirth and childcare.
Every class is taught by registered labor and delivery nurses, and contains detailed information in various areas, such as childbirth, infant care, and breastfeeding. Registration is free, but we recommend scheduling childbirth classes no later than 20 weeks into your pregnancy to ensure you’re ready for your new addition.
Maternity Wing Tour
See the labor and delivery suites at our Morganton location with a tour led by one of our expert staff members. We’ll show you our 24-hour Level II NICU, which will be available for your baby if needed.
Prepared Childbirth Classes
This class provides information about the last months of pregnancy, the birth process and labor-coping skills, along with the early postpartum period. Classes are offered as a three-week evening series. We also offer a limited Saturday class.
Take your family for a tour of the Family Center to help prepare your children for the birth of your new baby.
Baby Care Class
In this class, you will learn the basics of caring for an infant including diapering, cord care, bathing, understanding newborn characteristics and more.
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding when possible because studies have shown that breastfeeding has a positive impact on an infant’s general health, growth and development. This class will teach the basics of breastfeeding.
Would you know what to do if your infant suddenly began to choke or stopped breathing? This class is taught by American Heart Association instructors.
For more information on our classes, see page 11 of our Prenatal Guide.
To register for a class, call us at: 828-580-6333
Labor and Delivery
Our modern labor and delivery suites at UNC Health Blue Ridge-Morganton are comfortable and inviting as well as equipped with state-of-the-art technology.
- Modern, high-comfort birthing suites
- Rooming in – mom and baby stay together
- Dedicated surgical suite on the unit for emergencies and cesarean sections
- Private hours for bonding between moms and newborns, as well as open visitation allowing family and friends to share in baby's arrival
- Board-certified lactation consultants
- Lactation Store located on the floor
- Sibling activity center with games and entertainment for your other children
- Newborn kit with diapers, Blue Ridge onesie, and other essentials
Labor and delivery services are available only at our Morganton location with our Level II NICU facility should your baby need specialized care. Whether you have a routine or high-risk pregnancy, our specialists provide high-quality, personalized care.
Schedule your appointment today: 828-580-4341
We feature 24-hour in-house care for your newborn. Our Level II Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) in Morganton is equipped to care for infants born as young as 32 weeks, treating premature birth conditions such as jaundice or trouble eating.
Our NICU is staffed by neonatologists who are specially trained in caring for babies, especially premature newborns. We are also affiliated with UNC Health and UNC Health children's Hospital, which has a Level IV NICU that provides the highest level of care for babies, including those with birth defects and disorders. If needed, we can arrange transport, giving you peace of mind that high-level care is readily available for your infant.
We’re here to support every mother reach her personal goal of providing breast milk for her baby for as long as mom and baby so desire. Our Lactation Center provides breastfeeding help in a comfortable, supportive environment to asses any issues you may have. We’ll develop an individualized care plan and teach you and your family about breastfeeding before you give birth and in the hospital. We’ll continue to support you as long as necessary, including after you go home.
Our Lactation Center services include:
- Individual instructions and assistance with positioning and latch
- Assistance with breastfeeding challenges, both in the hospital and after you go home
- Prenatal breastfeeding appointment
- Baby weight checks
- Breastfeeding and lactation classes
- Telephone helpline
- Nutritional counseling
- Back to work appointments
We have breast-feeding supplies available in our Lactation Store, located in Room 301.
For your convenience, we provide:
- Medela pumps and products (manual, fully-automatic electric, or hands-free pumping)
- Breast pump and breast pump cleaning accessories
- Milk storage bags
- Soothing gel pads
- Breast shells
- Special-needs feeding aids
- Postpartum support belts
- Nursing bras
- Nursing camisoles
- Pumping bustiers
For more information or to register, call 828-580-6333