Salary and Benefits
Current salaries for House Staff in the Graduate Medical Education Programs at UNC Health Blue Ridge are as follows:
- PGY-1 $50,200
- PGY-2 $51,400
- PGY-3 $53,200
- UNC Health Blue Ridge Benefits - Medical, Dental, Prescription drug plan, and Vision insurance available (see UNC Health Blue Ridge Benefits at a Glance regarding plans, coverage, and premiums).
- Group life insurance; Short and long-term disability through UNC Health Blue Ridge (see UNC Health Blue Ridge Benefits at a Glance regarding plans, coverage, and premiums).
- Phifer Wellness Center: Discounted or free membership (dependent upon insurance plan selected).
- Tax deferred annuity (403b)
- Medical and daycare spending accounts available
- Employee Wellness Program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Emergency Fund
- Scholarships and tuition assistance available
- Group discounts
- Banking services
- North Carolina Resident Training License Reimbursement
- COMLEX 3 OR USMLE Step 3 Exam Reimbursement (passing score required)
- $1,000 Moving Allowance Reimbursement (Incoming class of residents only, reimbursed per IRS guidelines)
- BLS, and ACLS Certifications provided on-site
- Appropriate Specialty Society dues reimbursement
- Medical Malpractice Insurance provided
- Chief Resident Workshop
- Resident lounge, call rooms, conference room, and library provided. Through the Charlotte AHEC and VCOM’s electronic libraries, residents have access to a comprehensive array of both print and online resources to champion informational and educational needs.
Vacation / Time Off
- 20 vacation days each academic year to be used for personal time off, or sickness/emergency.
- Three (3) additional days will be allowed for COMLEX 3/USMLE 3 exams, or poster presentation.
- Total allowable time off is 23 days.
PGY-2 through PGY-6
- 20 vacation days each academic year to be used for personal time off, sickness/emergency, or interviews.
- Three (3) additional days are allowed to be used for board exam or poster presentations.
- Five (5) additional days are allowed to be used for CME at National Conferences or Specialty Board Exams.
Total allowable time off is 28 days.
Residents are allowed a total of $5,100 over a 3-year residency period for scholarly activities. The $5,100 is divided over each academic year and the funds are available July 1, through June 30, as listed below.
- PGY-1: $1,000
- PGY-2: $1,700
- PGY-3: $2,400
- Two (2) lab coats and laundry service provided.
Meal points are provided quarterly for use in the two hospital cafeterias
Meals are provided for select lectures and Friday didactics.
PGY-2 and PGY-3 residents are allowed to moonlight assuming program director and DIO approval of the activity
There is a popular in-house voluntary moonlighting opportunity available.
Free covered and reserved parking for residents.
Social Events / Activities
- Departmental activities (e.g. picnics, dinners)
- Several team building activities throughout the academic year
- Resident retreat
- Formal graduation banquet
- Annual Wellness Week