Geriatric Medicine Fellowship Curriculum
The design of the curriculum at UNC Health Blue Ridge is aimed at creating an active and dynamic learning environment. Please see below for an overview of the components of the educational program.
We participate in UNC Health Internal Medicine grand rounds on the first and last Wednesdays of every month. Presentations are given by CMC faculty as well as visiting professors from other institutions.
Journal Club, Morbidity and Mortality Conference
Journal Club and M&M are held monthly at UNC Health Blue Ridge. Journal club is held once a month and during this time, the fellows, Geriatric faculty, and the rotating Internal medicine resident meet to discuss validity of the chosen article, results and clinical applicability of the findings.
Geriatric Fellows join the Internal Medicine Residents for Morbidity and Mortality conference which focuses on the concept of root cause analysis of a case that had an adverse outcome. This conference is multidisciplinary with multiple departments of the hospital often represented. The goal of this conference is to educate residents/fellows on patient safety and increase awareness of system-based issues that contribute to individual nurse or physician error.
Board Review and Didactics
Board review is held weekly and rescheduled on weeks when Fellows are on vacation. Fellow physicians will have content to read and review at the beginning of each week. By the end of the week, fellow physicians will review their assigned reading and participate in board review questions related to the readings with the program director. The Fellow physicians will also review the AGS journal monthly.
Geriatric Fellowship Core Rotations
- Ambulatory medicine longitudinal experience
- Ambulatory Clinic two half days per week
- Skilled Nursing longitudinal experience
- Geriatric Inpatient Consult service
- Hospice and Palliative Care – 1 month
- Neurology – 1 month
- Geriatric Psychiatry - 1 month
- Located at Broughton psychiatric hospital, approximately 5 minutes from the UNC Health Blue Ridge Campus.
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation – 2 weeks
- Located at Pineville Inpatient Rehabilitation, approximately 80 minutes from UNC Health Blue Ridge Campus. The fellow is provided with an apartment while on this rotation.
- Sleep Medicine
- Urology/Wound care – 1 month
- Electives available upon request
Geriatric Fellowship Elective Rotations
Any core rotation can be repeated as an elective rotation. In addition, Fellows can participate in any of the following rotations:
- Infectious disease